For Unit 3’s Audiostory project, I wanted to touch base on the move toward natural labeling that we are seeing in the food/flavor industry. I touched on this topic in Unit 2’s Logo project regarding vanilla, so I figured it would be a good idea to delve into the topic with more depth for Unit 3.
I planned to interview my coworker, Mary Svoboda, senior flavor chemist at Synergy Flavors, Inc., knowing she would have a plethora of information regarding the topic, as she has been in the industry for years and ranks as senior among the other chemists. Before getting together with Mary, I wrote down a few questions to help guide the conversation, making sure we would touch on the topics I wanted us to discuss.
I chose the location for us to have the interview based on how recordings sounded on my phone. I tested 3 different rooms to see which would have minimal background noise. After choosing the location, I positioned my phone in the middle of Mary and I, to pick up both of our voices. Upon reviewing the interview, I found my voice did not carry well through my phone’s recording, so I would need to add narration, or a voice-over, to help move the story along. This ended up being for the best, however, as our interview contained a significant amount of scientific jargon that listeners would not necessarily need to understand the segment.
After logging key moments in the interview, I then edited the clip to remove the soundbites I wanted to highlight using the razor tool. I then wrote and recorded the narration to help separate the beginning from the middle and from the end of the story. Once my narration was recorded, I had to adjust the volume levels, as my recordings were louder than Mary’s interview parts. Using the yellow volume bar, I lowered the decibel for my voice, and raised it for Mary’s to give our voices an even leveling.
I wanted the beginning and end of the audiostory to have a sort of “breaking news” sound to open and close the clip. I searched on Freesound.org for a clip that would suffice and found “Breaking Bars – Breaking News” and cut out the first 2-3 seconds of it to use for my piece. Once this was added, I had some trimming I needed to do, as I was about 11 seconds over the three minute mark. To do this, I zoomed in on the track that had each of the individual parts together as a single unit, and removed any stuttering, unnecessary pauses between words, and other word vomit that could be omitted easily. I also moved and overlapped some of the soundbites to give it a more natural flow, as if the conversation was happening as the track is played. This also helped blend the leveling of our voices, too.
Once completed, I exported the file and uploaded it to SoundCloud. Moving forward, I am considering adding some light background music under our voices during the interview, though I am afraid that it will take away the “newsroom” feel I was going for.
I am looking forward to hearing some feedback! Thanks for listening!