Draft Video Story
When deciding on a topic for this unit, I knew I wanted to create a recipe how-to video, like I’m sure we’ve all seen on the internet. Some examples of these types of videos can be seen at Tasty and Buzzfeed Food. I decided to focus on the same caramel coffee protein I created the graphic image for in the class’ first unit. Doing so brings my blog for the class around full-circle, as units 2 and 3 are related concepts as well.
When I had designed my recipe image in the first unit, I had done so in the order of how I prefer (and recommend) to pour the ingredients into the blender. In doing so, it felt as though I had a bit of my video story already organized for me. Keeping with the beginning-middle-end construct of a story, I had planned on having an opening shot of the ingredients on the table, then the listing and mixing of the ingredients as the middle, and the finished beverage as the end.
Setting up the scene for the video was a bit more daunting than I had anticipated. To keep my place with the different ingredient changes, I had marked on the table where my phone should be placed and how it should be angled to help prevent the film jumping too much. One plus of having the shutters as the background was they provided natural lines in the scenery which in using the rule of thirds when trying to align the items. The lighting in my kitchen is very bright and provided what I though was a great lighting for my phone’s video camera.
When filming the individual ingredients, I filmed each for 10 seconds both with and without being moved, with the intention of this providing footage for the still shot before fast-motion occurs that I had planned. However, when viewing the footage together, it became prevalent that the markings I had used to keep my phone in place did not work for each shot (or likely I moved the phone).
The process I used to construct my video story is like the process we used in the Premiere tutorials. Once the clips were uploaded to Premiere and added to the project, I created a new sequence and marked in and out the clips I would take without audio from the upper-right video-editing box. To speed up some of the clips, I used the speed/duration tool and increased the speed.
Once the clips were in place, I created various titles for the ingredients and instructions for the different parts of the video. As I created these, I added different effects to the clips and titles to help smooth out transitions. I also used the positioning and scaling video effects as much as I could to fix the clips that were not aligned with the others due to the phone moving.
After the video was put together, I added an audio clip I found online that went surprisingly very well with the transitions in the video, called Drops of H20 (The Filtered Water Treatment) by J.Lang. I am not sure if I like the current song, but having some audio gives the draft more life than none. Ideally I was looking for a song similar to an instrumental version of “Brand New Key” by Melanie Safka or likewise-upbeat, but I have not had much luck in my search. A lot of what I’m finding online to use commercially is more electronic than I’d like.
Moving forward, I plan to clean up some of the transitions between the still shot and the fast-motion clips. It did not dawn on me to simply take a photo of the beginning of the clip using the Export Frame tool rather than piecing together parts of different clips as frequently as I did, until I had gotten near the end of editing. Doing this will hopefully help smooth out some of the choppier parts of the video.