Video Story Final

 

Inspiration

When deciding on a topic for this unit, I aimed to create a recipe how-to video, as can be seen on some Facebook and YouTube pages such as Tasty and Buzzfeed Food. Using the final project as a conclusion, I opted to focus on the same caramel coffee protein shake recipe I used in the beginning of this course.

graphiccollage_final_800x640

Filming

When drafting the recipe video story, I tried keeping with the beginning-middle-end construct of an actual story.  In this story, the ingredients listing would act as the beginning, the blending is the middle, and enjoying the drink is the end.

Setting up the scene for the video was more difficult than I had planned for.  To keep my place between scene changes, I use various markers my kitchen table to note where my phone should be placed and how it should be angled to maintain consistency throughout shots. Having the shutters as the background provided natural lines in the scenery, helping to keep with the rule of thirds when aligning the individual items.  The lighting in my kitchen provided very bright and clear lighting for the shoot.

Each ingredient and action received a ten second shot in 2 different angles. Originally, the plan was to use a greater variety of angles in video but, when viewing the footage together, it became prevalent that the markings I had used to keep my phone in place did not well work for each shot (or I moved the phone—either way it was quite messy).

Editing the Draft

The process I used to construct my video story is like the processes we used in the Premiere tutorials. Once the clips were uploaded to the project, I created a new sequence and marked in and out the clips I would take without audio from the upper-right video-editing box. Once the clips were decided, I went in with the razor tool and cut the clips into regular and fast motion clips.

Once the clips were in place, I created various titles for the ingredients and instructions for the different parts of the video. As I created these, I added different effects to the clips and titles to help smooth out transitions.  I also used the positioning and scaling video effects as much as I could to fix the clips that were not aligned with the others due to the phone moving.

After the video was put together, I added an audio clip I found online that went surprisingly very well with the transitions in the video, called Drops of H20 (The Filtered Water Treatment) by J.Lang. However, I was not set with this song selection, as it did not capture the correct mood.

Feedback

I received a lot of positive and constructive feedback on the draft version of this piece. Most of the comments revolved around the jumps between some of the still-to-fast-motion shots, and the timing of the piece. I also received a few compliments on the song choice, despite my discontent with it.

Editing the Final

Most of the major editing for the final was done to remove the jumps between clips of different speeds. In the draft video, I had taken pieces of different clips to create the slow-to-fast effect, not realizing the differences in my phone’s position would make such an impact.  To fix this, I used the “Export Frame” tool to take a still shot of the beginning of the clip, then stretched it out for the length of time that suited the part of the video.  This way, once the video began playing, it would pick up from that still shot, making for a smooth transition between speeds.

I also found a royalty free song that fit the type of mood I was aiming for, called Ukulele found at Bensound.com.  Thankfully, a lot of the pauses and musical transitions fit into the flow of the video already, so only minor adjustments were needed to fix the remaining flow of the video alongside the new audio. I used the “constant gain” tool at the beginning and end of the song to generate a slow fade-in/out.

I also went in and took a closer look at some of the clips where the image is the same though the angle may have been off.  For the images that were different, I used the position and scale video effect tools to help re-center the images to match the rest of the clips. This, I believe, helped maintain that continuity I was aiming for when shooting the raw footage.

Final Storyboard

finalstoryboard

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s